Wednesday, November 21, 2007

FROM 24hourcampfire.com:


whitkid22

New Member
Registered: 11/20/07
Posts: 1


Hi guys, I am new to your forum and thanks for having me. I have a few questions about deer calls. I find it neat to try to call in a deer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me long/how many grunts/wheezes/ between each use. I watched the DVD (instructional) but it does not speak of duration...Any tips on this would be helpful. I am hunting in southern maine. Thanks a lot guys. Whit


Until about 7 years ago, I was always trying to add something to my hunt in order to boost my odds. Finally, one day, I realized that the decoy, the scents, the calls, had all consumed my hunting and it was now overly complicated. My solution was to get back to a bare minimum.

1) I keep my scent signature down with nothing more than baking soda.
2) I put away the decoy, the climbing stand, the calls and the scents.
3) I did a lot of scouting and put up simple ladder stands.
4) I put myself in the best possible spot to get deer.
5) I sat and waited.

I've been wildly successful at filling my freezer ever since. Little by little, I've experimented with bringing back certain individual pieces. This year I bagged the BIG ONE.
see "The Savage Speaks Again . . ."

All it took was three little poots on a grunt call spaced about two seconds apart. The telling part of the story is that the sub-dominant deer took those grunts as a warning and left the area immediately. For what I was trying to do, namely draw the smaller bucks into range, the grunt call was a huge failure. It just so happened that the big buck was there, just out of sight and took the challenge.

My advice is to be very careful with calling and especially blind calling. I will grunt to stop and turn a deer that is walking away. I will snort at deer that are snorting at me in order to confuse them. Occasionally I blaat. Mostly I just stay quiet and rely on my scouting. If the deer are there, they will come.


No comments: