Monday, October 03, 2005

Kite String

I use kite string to mark trails. If I'm hunting a new spot that is tricky to get to, I'll put kite string between two branches here and there to give me an idea of where to go. It's cheap, and the synthetic stuff they use now is fairly reflective, and I can pick it up easily in the flashlight beam.

A bit of string between two fence posts means : the opening in the fence is nigh.

A bit of string tied along the trail means: follow this line.

A bit of string around a tree means: your stand is in sight.

I've got string up that's been there 4 seasons now. I only needed it the first season, but it's amazing how long that stuff will stay if it's left alone.


It's also something that most other hunters don't usually recognize. I had one guy tell me about "tripwahrs" that he'd seen-- somebody had set them up to see if deer were coming through.


That's another thing, by the way, that I use kite string for as part of my early season scouting. I tie kite string across a runway to see if deer are actually using the trail. It doesn't give an accurate picture, but I can rule out a trail. It's saved me from putting up a stand here and there over old trails.

No comments: