Monday, October 03, 2005

Getting ready for Yute Season

The Remington 742 has managed to still serve a purpose even after retirement. I took the offending Remington 742 and placed it in a positon of obvious disgrace next to my gunsmithing table. All the other rifles have an easy view of it whenever I open the safe. The message is clear: "This will happen to you if you fail."

It must be working. Mooseboy had the M1 Garand out this weekend, taking his last practice prior to the start of KY Yute Season. Here were the results:

















That was his first offhand target at 50 yards. I think Mooseboy was made for a 10.5 lb battle rifle, and vice-versa. This was using the standard 165 grain/ H4895 load for the Garand, substituing Hornady Interlock SP for the FMJ.

I also cleaned up the Garand considerably. Since the last time Moose' saw his new interim deer rifle, I added an oiled leather sling and went at the stock with 0000 steel wool, wood cleaner, and paste wax. The stock went from murky and black to a rich brown with honey highlights. I also bought him a few 5-round clips.

I hope all the deer rifles get the hint and are on their best behavior in the coming months.

No comments: