Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Glasses and Deer Hunting

I've been wearing glasses since I was 9. I have always been nearsighted. Iron sights have always been a bit of a problem for me, but scopes work fine. For the most part, I hunt with a 1.5-4.5X scope with decent eye relief, and I have no problems.

There are few things you can do to make eyeglasses less of a hassle.

First, buy yourself a glass strap. Croakies makes a good one. Use a strap. The last thing you want to do is lose your glasses while you're out.

Second, treat your glasses with some sort of anti-fog before going out. I've had several instances of my glasses fogging up just as I was trying to take a shot. You get excited, you get pumped, the temperature of your face goes up a couple of degrees. That warm moist air hits your cold lenses and Poof! Dishwashing liquid works. Spit works in a pinch. Those commercial no-fog preparations are amazing. Rain-ex is supposedly the bomb.

I was told I needed bifocals two years ago, and I knew it would be a problem for me. I opted for two pair of glasses. I never carry the reading glasses with me when I'm in the field. If you have trouble, just ask the doc to write you a script for some good distance glasses without the astigmatism correction. Remember to carry a card with your prescription on it. As long as you can find a Walmart, you can have glasses.

I always pick the largest wire frame glasses I can find. The bigger the lens, the happier I am. I get the most protection from a large lens. When I'm out, I always wear a hat with a large brim. It does a lot to create a pocket of dead air behind the lens -- less dust, etc. blowing in. A hat will also keep rain off your glasses.

No comments: