Thursday, February 17, 2005

Acceptable Deer Rifle Accuracy?

Acceptable deer hunting accuracy? I'd say that is a two-part answer:

What can the rifle do?
What can I do with the rifle?

I usually shoot a rifle from the bench and work toward a 1-2MOA groups with a given load. Sometimes, starting out, a rifle may print 6-10" groups before I start tweeking. Once I get it down to 1-2" at 100 yards, I stop trying. Going further is not necessary. I have a slug gun that shoots more like 4" at fifty, but that's okay.

Then comes the real question: what can I do with the rifle. I've always figured that I'm doing all right if I can put it on a pie-plate at a given distance with a given stance, I'll be okay. That goes for bow, slug, rifle, anything. If I can keep it in a 10" circle, that deer is dead. In an unsupported offhand shot with my slug gun that's probably 65 yards. With my best deer rifle resting against a tree, I can go well over 200 yards. My longest shot deer hunting so far is 165 yards-- nailed a coyote with a scoped '06.

However, I also have to admit that I don't push myself in that direction. My hunting is mostly done from ground blinds and elevated stands at bowhunting distances. Most of the deer I've shot have been at distances between 10 feet and 30 yards. Most of the venues I hunt preclude shots over 80 yards. It does not take that much work to get a rifle to shoot into a pieplate at that distance, and that's fine by me. The time and effort I save on bench time is all used on scouting.

No comments: