Friday, January 02, 2009

PA Deer Hunters -- Bless their Hearts

This comes from a discussion of the current PA deer harvest restrictions going on at Grizzly Gary's Forum


PA ANTLER RESTRICTIONS/HERD REDUCTION 2008 REPORTS


This is addressed to everyone who has responded on this thread. I don't mean to be picking on anyone in particular. First off, let me just remind y'all that I am a complete outsider on this. I've hunted a total of less than a week in PA and that was almost 10 years ago. I'm a Ohio guy who does all his deer hunting in Kentucky. I've been mostly lurking on here for the past few months, just because y'all make an interesting read. I have formed a conclusion from the outside looking in that I would like to share with you:

Y'all are nuts.

Please accept this the way it was meant. I don't mean to say your Momma's dropped you when you were small-- that may be the reason, but I'm not trying to go there. You just need somebody to slap y'all and make you come around.

Deer hunting should not be this complicated

When you get to talking about AR's and HR's and 2C and 3F's, and safety zones and all that, you get to sounding like Rainman. Werner Von Braun was a heck of lot easier to understand when he discussed the Apollo Mission, and he talked with heavy accent! Something is seriously wrong. It should not take 14 pages and counting to have this discussion.

It seems like you have zones within zones within. . . Do you realize how strange that sounds to a hunter who has little to do with PA hunting? You have restrictions on restrictions, seasons within season. I can explain KY hunting deer hunting laws in a matter of a few sentences:

You can take only 1 Buck-- period. There are 4 zones. In Zone 1, you can take as many antlerless deer as you want. In the other zones, the seasons close a little sooner than in Zone 1. You can hunt with nearly anything you want during Modern Weapons Season. Archery season starts around Labor Day and runs to around MLK. There are few specialty seasons-- Youth, ML, crossbow. Put your name and the date on your deer when you kill it; call it in to the 800# when you get home.

. . . There, I think I covered it-- at least 80% of it. I am not saying KY has the best rules. I am not saying they are rules that are right for PA. I am just saying that we have a good, stable herd, that is growing a little each year and we have some terrific bucks being harvested. The rules are simple.

Y'all need help


Bless your hearts! I'm not trying to poke fun at y'all. I think y'all just need help. For one thing, I think everyone with a valid PA deer tag ought to be evaluated for Obsessive/Compulsive Disorder. If you're able to follow these rules, there has got to be something wrong. If y'all get properly medicated, it will go a long way to returning y'all to a happy and productive life.

I bet if you go look in the PGC's closet they have a huge ball of string hidden away. The guys who came up with these rules ought to be started immediately on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and restrained before they hurt themselves.
Once everyone has their dosages figured out, you need to put forward a referendum to simplify your game laws.

I'm going to go sit back down now. I'll stay quiet and try not to bother anyone.

No comments: