Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Saturday Openers

I'm very much in favor of the Saturday Openers. It makes sense after a state begins to allow Sunday hunting. I saw a similar argument over the KY Turkey Seasons going on over at another forum-- KY used to start just any-old-day of the week, and it's now been moved to a Saturday.

A Saturday Opener affords a suburbanite like me an extra couple days of hunting. I can see in the past, with herds and flocks the way they were 20 years ago, you might want to give the locals a chance. However, most states in my region are now crawling with deer and turkey.

Also, as a guy with 2 sons that wanted into the sport, I can tell you that Saturday openers are much more family friendly. It used to be I had to burn vacation to hunt opening day and pull a kid out of school to hunt the Opener. Now I can save that vacation for something else-- usually with the kids. It also means my kids and myself have a fair shot over the first two days of season. Hunting in Kentucky, this was my first time in 10 years that I've deer hunted during the week. Normally the freezer is full by the end of Opening Weekend.

Updating the hunting laws to conform with a contemporary lifestyle is one important way that young folk can be brought into the sport-- Sunday Hunting and Saturday Openers were a huge step along that path.
_________________

No comments: