Friday, November 10, 2006

Tink's 69

My technique with Tink's is 5 film canisters filled with a 6X1" strip of polyester fake fur-- anything fluffy will do. Polyester hold scent pretty well. I got mine by shaving strips off an old baby blanket. I also have 4 1 foot long strips of the fake fur tied in half with a piece of rope that forms a noose around my ankle. The whole kit is stored in a ziplock bag. I dose the scent drag and the scent bombs the night before.

When I get within 100 yards of the stand, I put on the scent drag. When I get to the stand, I remove the 5 film canisters and make a 10-15 yard circle of them around my tree. I take the wick out of the canister and hang it on a low-hanging branch and then drop the canister and lid to the ground. When I'm done, the scent drag goes on a nearby tree and the ziplock is dropped at the base of the stand.

Remember that deer can tell how strong the scent is. It gets weaker with time, so your drag line is theoretically telling the deer that you're going the other way. Stronger = Closer. If you are walking with the drag for a long distance, remember to refresh it every so often.

I too have had deer walk with their heads down, sniffing my drag lines all the way to the stand. On the other hand, I had does last weekend snorting like crazy at me with my Tink's out. I had 69 out just for old time's sake.

My experience with scents goes all the way back to the Jon-E Handwarmer system and Pete Rickard's Old Indian. I have to say that '69 has been a consistent performer as any since I started using it in 1984. I generally don't use scent anymore-- it gives unpredictable results. One day it's a magnet, the next time it's a major turnoff. I used to be a major scent addict, and one day I decided that the logistics of scents, decoys, climbing stands, and all that were getting just too darn complicated to be fun. I went back to washing my clothes in baking soda and I hid out in a 15 foot ladder stand and I see a heck of a lot more deer.

No comments: