Saturday, October 23, 2004

In praise of Slugs

I am forever surprising folks when I say that if I intend on hunting from one of my bow stands, my ultimate preferred venison machine is a Remington 1100 in 12 GA with cheap 2 3/4 Reminginton Sluggers. Inside 75 yards, there is no need for anything else.

If I want a bit more range, I've now got a Mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel and I shoot either Brenneke 3inchers or Remington Copper Solids. The latter go through the same hole at 50 yards, but the 1100 is what I started with 20 years ago, and I know I can depend on it.

Since I shifted my attention from Ohio to Kentucky, and started reloading, I've been on a real centerfire rifle kick. Still, there is nothing like the 1100 for a close in shot from either an elevated stand or still hunting brush.

No comments: