Saturday, October 16, 2004

Back from the Hunt-- 1 Doe with the Hawken

I'm back in from the hunt. a doe came in at 5 with her girlfriend trailing. She came in on exactly the downwind side and busted me. At 6, she came back on a crosswind trail and I nailed her at 60 yards with the 54 Hawken. This is my first muzzleloader deer in 20 years of trying. The shot rolled her over, and she was dead before she hit the ground.

Funny thing: the girfriend stuck around for about 20 minutes trying to figure out why her buddy was taking a dirt nap. Deer are not really deep creatures, she kept trying to wake up her friend, and then just walked off nibbling stuff as she went.

Oh well, belly's full of venison roast, french onion soup, and pecan pie. I'm going to bed and sleeping in. Picture will have to wait until tomorrow.

L8r all you Cervid Serial Killers! Hope ML season treated you as well.

No comments: