Wednesday, September 15, 2004

What's that Freezer Suit?

I received some personal e-mail asking what the heck a freezer suit is and how to get one. I referenced it in that piece on ponchos. I worked for a frozen foods company, and regularly had to work out on the floor. Some of the plant was kept at 40 F , parts at -2 F and some parts were -20F . They sold suits to the employees based on your work environment. I was writing the database that tracked the purchases, so I knew just what I wanted.

Mens & Boys Suits Coats/Overcoats (mfrs)
Htc Incorporated 517-523-2167
4731 S PITTSFORD RD
Pittsford, MI 49271-9623

I checked 2 years ago and they still make these suits. If you called them tomorrow, you'd get one custom made before the cold hits. Whenever I wear this suit in public, I have requests for the address of the manufacturer.

These guys make a cheap freezer suit that is perfect for sustained working in -2 F and below. Mine was green oxford nylon-- a perfect color for the woods. It had a set of bibs and a coat and a detachable hood. The whole thing ran me less than $120. I've had the suit for eight years, I haven't worked at the joint since 1998, but the freezer suit still looks new. They're built to wear like iron. It's oxford nylon, so it's a bit noisy, but with a cover-up or poncho over the top it's perfect for late season deer hunting.

When it's rifle season in KY, I can wear it under my orange poncho, and nobody sees but a small piece of the fabric below the knees. I have a skyline poncho for late season bow hunting and crow hunting. I pack the coat in in a duffel bag and only wear the bibs until I'm on my stand. Even then, I generally wait about 15 minutes to cool off until I don the coat and zip it up. From that point on, I'm toasty warm.

When it gets down below zero, I wear it to work, but I have to keep the windows rolled down in the truck to keep from overheating. It's about on a par with a good snowmobile suit-- warmer than most. I also have a snowmobile suit-- it's falling apart after a lot less wear.

The only thing I have against these freezer suits is that they are not meant for rain. They have no protection against water seeping through the outer shell. However, if you're out in stuff below 20 F, your chances of encountering liquid water in any form are about nill, unless you want to wade a creek. Above 20 F, I've got a bunch of other clothes to wear.

In between uses, I keep my freezer suit in a duffel bag, packed in sodium bicarb to absorb odor.

Also remember that this does nothing for your hands and feet. Without good mittens and boots you're still going to freeze something off. I also wear a heavy poly-pro balaclava to keep all but my eyes covered.

No comments: