Thursday, September 30, 2004

The ritual of Fall has begun.

The bug finally hit last night. All of a sudden, the scene changed. It came with the 10 degree drop in temperature, the accumulating leaves in the yard, the smell of my old leather shooting glove as I brought it out of the case. It was time to bow hunt, and I could no longer wait. I had been practicing for quite a while, but it had not seemed real. It was something too far off in the future to get worked up about.

I grabbed some arrows and grandpa’s old watering can and stepped off the twenty yards, set down the can and then dropped the arrows in as I have been doing for years. The points hit the bottom with the same hollow dink, dink-a-dink. I pulled one out, knocked it, drew and held. The pin sat on the target like it had been nailed there. Time stopped. Release. I saw the orange fletch pass into the target and disappear. Bull. Time started again.

The ritual of Fall has begun.

Fall is a reality of meteorology and astronomy. It is also a reality of the heart. Summer left a week ago, but Fall started last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here!

I have a brush coat dog king site. It pretty much covers ##Custom Dog Coats## related stuff.

Tired of those knit sweaters, the ones that stretch out and have legs that your dog hates? Us too! So we came up with a coat that fits comfortably and works well! You and your dog will love these coats! We know, because we have been dog breeders for 23 years and know what dogs like.

All "Designer DoggieWear!" coats are handmade by ourselves in the United States. This assures the finest of quality and workmanship.



Come and check it out if you get time.