Monday, September 27, 2004

Aching with Anticipation

I had one stand that still needed some work this past weekend. It is my current best stand. While I was sprucing it up in early July, I noticed a missing bolt. One thing lead to another, and I haven't been back out. There is plenty of sign at several of my prime stands, including this one. I just got pre-occupied with family reunions and such this summer and let things slip away.

Now, there it was, 3 weeks into KY Bow Season, and it was still not done. I found the bolt, and a camo blind that goes around the outside and headed off in the truck. Barney came with me. He loves that stand site-- always gets a chance to roust up a flock of turkeys or chase a few squirrels. I don't hunt the first month of KY Bow-- it's just too hot, it gets in the way of squirrel-- you've heard my rant. BTW: I checked the site and Bracken County had 33 deer taken in 3 weeks.

I got up and managed to knock out the remains of the old bolt and put in the new one. The blind got attached with wire ties after that.

Barney had been sniffing around when we first got there. I wrapped up my gig, and was getting ready to leave. There he was, stretched out on the ground, just enjoying the day. It looked like such a good idea, I decided to join him.

The woods were perfect. The stand was just right. It was like the curtain was about to come up on my season, and everything felt just right. I sat and took in the sounds, the sights, it all felt just soooooo good. The Cervid Serial Killer squirms in delightful anticipation of his next adventure.

I'll probably start bowhunting next weekend after one more trip for squirrel. This stand will probably not see any action until mid-October. However, I have several early producers elsewhere on the farm.

BTW:

I just wanted you to know that the ". . . Funnels and Signs" thing has now hit Yahoo's search engine. That probably means that enough people have been linking to this story to make all the search engine spiders crawl on out to have a look. It's also floating to the top in some of the weblog search engines. This is due in large part to you guys telling other people to go read my piece and set the blog rolling, so to speak.

To me, that's the sincerest form of flattery a writer like me can have. The closest thing I have to this in my life is when I found out the short stories I was writing for my college degree were being copied and recopied and making the rounds as sort of an ersatz underground magazine. I was humbled then, and I'm humbled now.

Thank you ever so much. Drop by often. I try to post once or twice a day. Sometimes it's the same as what I post on forums, but usually not. My goal is to leave the world with a mix of my ramblings, while devoting a considerable amount of space to helping beginning deer hunters.

Leave lots of comments and sign the guestbook. There's also a link so that you can vote/review my weblog on Blogarama and portal.eatonweb.com. I'd appreciate your vote.



No comments: